In 1916 the Historical Society of Delaware purchased a new home, Old Town Hall. The Old Town Hall was vacated by city authorities (following the completion of a new City and County Building) and the Historical Society of Delaware purchased the building at auction. After 38 years in First Presbyterian Church, the Society moved out. Old Town Hall would become the Society’s new location. The Society intended to restore Old Town Hall, maintain the building as public monument, and utilize of the space for the Historical Society of Delaware.
The Old Town Hall was purchased for $90,517.50. The Historical Society of Delaware was able to put $30,000 as a down payment, with $5,000 coming from the building fund and an additional $25,000 contribution made from a friend. The Society had a mortgage for the remaining sum, and also sought to raise funds to restore Old Town Hall in the coming years.
The Historical Society of Delaware intended to restore the architecture of the building, preserve the Society’s holdings, and make the space a public museum and library. The first floor would become a permanent public museum and the second floor would house the library and meeting room. The basement would be used for storage and fireproof vaults would be constructed to house valuable collections.
Old Town Hall represented the future for the Historical Society of Delaware. This historically significant building would serve as a new spacious home in the heart of downtown Wilmington.