We do not have information on Society activities in 1926. However, later annual meetings (such as for 1930) mention that the Society welcomed the use of Old Town Hall by various historical organizations throughout the 1920’s. In 1926, the following were well established historical agencies which enjoyed the Historical Society of Delaware’s support : the Sons of the American Revolution, The Delaware Society of the Cincinnati, and the Delaware Society of Colonial Dames. These patriotic groups utilized the rooms in Old Town Hall for their gatherings, at the invitation of the Historical Society of Delaware. As the missions of these organizations were very similar, a cordial relationship formed. Today, DHS still houses records for the SAR.
The Delaware Society of the Sons of the American Revolution (S.A.R.) began to form in late Fall of 1889. The first meetings took place in the parlors of the old Clayton House that stood on the ground that became the Queen Theater and is now World Café Live at the Queen. There, on January 29th, 1890, the first President of the Delaware S.A.R. was elected, the Honorable Thomas F. Bayard.
On July 4th, 1783, the first Independence Day to be celebrated in the U.S., the Delaware State Society of the Cincinnati met in Wilmington, Delaware to formally convene itself as a Society and to elect its first officers.The Society was the brainchild of General Henry Knox, Washington’s Chief of Artillery and of Baron Von Stueben, the Prussian who supported the American cause and trained American troops. The Society took its name from Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus, a Roman citizen who in 458 B.C. was called from his farm to lead Rome’s armies in war. Under Cincinnatus’ leadership the Romans were victorious and after the war he returned to a peaceful life on his farm. Many in the Continental Army saw themselves as American Cincinnati.
Three years earlier, in November of 1891, The National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the State of Delaware was formed at the home of Miss Spotswood in New Castle, Delaware. The Society was not incorporated until May 12, 1892. Delaware was the fourth state to form a chapter of the Colonial Dames behind Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey. The first national council of Colonial Dames was held in Wilmington, Delaware on May 19th, 1892. The Society’s fundamental purpose was an is to honor female descendants of colonists who came to any of the thirteen American colonies prior to 1750 and whose services were rendered during the American Colonial period.