Students of Delaware history know Anna T. Lincoln as the author of a classic history of Wilmington. What they may not know is that she was the curator—actually, the only professional staff member—of the Delaware Historical Society for over ten years.
Anna T. Lincoln (1870-1942) graduated from Wilmington High School, studied at the University of Pennsylvania, and taught history in the Wilmington public schools from 1891 until 1928. She joined the staff of the Delaware Historical Society in 1929, shortly after Old Town Hall opened as the Society’s museum and library. It fell to her to organize and catalog the Society’s collections, now available to the public for the first time in a number of years.
She also pursued her own research, publishing Our Indians of Early Delaware, written for young readers, in 1932. Anna Lincoln was aware of the need for a comprehensive history of Wilmington, and she proceeded to write Wilmington, Delaware: Three Centuries under Four Flags, published in 1937. The book remains a valuable compendium of information on the city, despite its quirky index.
After Anna Lincoln retired from the Delaware Historical Society in 1940, she married Rev. Abel McCrea and forsook Wilmington for his home town of Carlisle, Pennsylvania.